Thursday, January 31, 2013

(One of) Her Favorite Authors

I have been remiss in talking about my favorite hobby here on the blog. I've talked about knitting and the obstacles to my weight loss, but not of what I have been reading recently. Let me correct that right now.


Source
One of the reasons I decided to try knitting is because I stumbled upon a new-to-me author by the name of Debbie Macomber. The book I randomly selected, thanks to Barnes and Noble's "Customers Who Bought This Also Bought" section, was The Shop on Blossom Street. It follows four women whose lives are taking a variety of twists and turns. Each one has a twist or turn that brings them to a yarn shop on Blossom Street where they learn to knit. I fell in love with each of the women and with the idea of knitting bringing people together and making life a little less stressful. 

The "Blossom Street" series has 10 novels (the 11th is due out in May of this year). You can see the list and a brief summary of each here. I am on book 6 and still loving it! Old characters are visited, new characters are introduced - I am enthralled!

A few reasons why I love Debbie Macomber:
Source
~She has flawless character development. Each woman (and man) feels like a real person who does real-person things. I would be friends with these women, I would join their knitting groups, and I would turn to them when I was down or needed advice. I am sorry that I don't live near Blossom Street!
~Her interweaving of the different women's plots is impeccable. Each book has at least two women as the focus (most so far have been 3 or 4). Their stories flow together perfectly and their interactions are not forced so they will work with the plot of the story. She is also able to bring back characters from previous books without that seeming unrealistic.
~Her plot lines are a little predictable, but I find that I don't mind that. It isn't a problem for me because I am rooting for the characters to have great things happen and if I have predicted those great things then that's fine by me.

I cannot wait to read the rest of the series, to meet new people and catch up with those I met in previous books. If you decide to join me on Blossom Street, I would love to know what you think of the books.

Happy Reading,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...