Thursday, April 9, 2015

H - Hyde Park


Welcome to our tour of Australia. During the month of April we are going to visit our favourite spots in Australia. Come join us on our walkabout through the land down under. 


Yesterday we visited one of Australia's most popular holiday destinations. Click here if you missed that post. Today we head back to the heart of Sydney.

 Hyde Park is one of many parks in Sydney but due to its location is one of the most well known parks in the city centre. It is located just steps away from the hustle and bustle of downtown Sydney and is Australia's oldest city park. There are several monuments and other attractions in the park. If you spend a day in Sydney, Hyde Park is well worth a look.
What I love: Hyde Park has a similar feel to Central Park in New York City, but a lot smaller. It is a great place to get away from the fast pace of the city and relax for a few moments. It is easy to get to and there is plenty to see. I make a point of seeing the park each time I visit Sydney.

 Even though the skyscrapers are close you feel like you are miles away from the craziness of the big city.

A statue of Captain James Cook. He was the captain of the Endeavour which was the first European ship to discover the East Coast of Australia among other places.

The park has its own residents including this hungry Ibis.

Even though it was a beautiful day the park was not at all crowded.

A family photo in front of the Archibald Fountain inside the park. This is one of my favourite photos as it is one of the few photos we have of the five of us. 
From left: My mum, Dad, Amanda, me and my sister Shellie.

St. Mary's Cathedral is a just outside of the park.

Once a year 70,000+ runners and walkers take over the park. It serves as the start to the City2Surf running race. I was able to run this event in 2013 and it was my favourite event by far. Click here to read my City2Surf post.

Getting There.
Car: Parking in downtown Sydney is crazy. Public transport is highly recommended.   
Air: Sydney Airport is the closest airport and is about a 20 minute train ride from the airport to Hyde Park
Train: Musuem and St. James are the two closest stations. They can be reached from most areas of the city with one train change or less. From the airport just get on the train headed to City and it will stop at both stations.

What is your favourite city park? What did you post about today?

9 comments:

  1. That park looks very English and like a nice oasis in the middle of the city. I love all the cool wildlife in Australia, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cathedral is gorgeous. :) I love the sound of bells...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture of the Ibis. I don't think I've ever seen one right in front of me! I've always liked Kensington Gardens in London. I used to walk there quite a bit when I lived there in the late 90s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a very cool place to visit. We've got to get over there some time soon.

    Stephen Tremp
    A to Z Co-host
    Twitter: @StephenTremp

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a cool looking park. I can see myself sitting on some of those benches (and taking pictures of them). Looks really clean too!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. We went to Sydney for my big birthday a few years ago, but I don't remember Hyde Park. Too bad, it looks lovely from your photos. I really like that family photo in front of such a cool fountain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those trees lining the walk. They just make the whole thing look so open an inviting somehow. Wonderful photo! Elle @ Erratic Project Junkie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hyde Park is lovely. I've walked the City to Surf once, it's a truly great event.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...