Monday, April 6, 2015

E - Eating Good Tucker


Welcome to our tour of Australia. During the month of April we are going to visit our favourite spots in Australia. Come join us on our walkabout through the land down under.


Last week we started our Tour of Australia with our A-D posts. Click here to see what you may have missed. We pick up our tour after a day off with the letter E.

No travel guide would be complete without some good eats so lets take care of that. Australia's has some great food but these two places stand out as our favourite tucker (Australian for food)

Cupcake Expresso:
This small bakery and coffee shop is located just outside downtown Newscastle and has a great selection of cupcakes and coffee. The selection changes from time to time but there are usually about 20 different flavours to choose from. All it will take is one bite for you to realize that these are the best cupcakes you have ever had. You can buy cupcakes individually but with how good they taste and how difficult it is to choose just one, it is much easier to buy a a half dozen or more!
What I loved:
I love a great tasting cupcake but no matter where I go they are usually missing that flavour and texture that sets it apart from a box mix that you pick up from the store. However this is not the case with Cupcake Expresso. Each cake is made with care and tastes heavenly. I was lucky enough to be introduced to them at my sister's wedding and we stopped by the store for refills a few times during our time there. The worst part is they don't ship to the U.S.A and we haven't found anything close to the taste here since. Please open a store in VA!
Cost:  (Prices are in Australian Dollars)
$4.20 for one. $21 for half dozen. $40 for a dozen  ($3.20 USD / $16 USD / $31.50USD)
Address: 281-293 Brunker Road, Adamstown, NSW (Click here for map)
More Info: Cupcake Expresso
 

 My sister had Cupcake Expresso cupcakes at her wedding.

 The triple chocolate cupcake was Amanda's favourite.

Mr Schnitzel:
Located just steps from Lake Macquarie in Warners Bay, Mr Schnitzel has been serving tasty chicken wraps for many years. Chicken Schnitzels (which are a type of breaded chicken filets) are a popular dish in Australia and Mr Schnitzel adds them to a variety of toppings into a wrap. There is a huge list of combinations to choose from and it will keep you full for hours. There is a nice park with benches by the lake just steps away and makes the perfect place to enjoy your meal.
What I loved: Most meals in Australia are much more expensive than it is in America and it was hard to find a quality meal at a good price. Mr Schnitzel provided one of the best hand held meals I have ever eaten for about the price of a Big Mac Meal at Maccas (McDonalds). The toppings that you could have added made the wrap even more complete! 
Cost:  (Prices are in Australian Dollars)
Wraps range from $9-14. ($7-$10.50 USD) Burgers and other items range from $7-10.($5.50-$7.75 USD)
Address: 34 Lake Street, Warners Bay, NSW (Click here for map)

Source

I kept seeing these signs as we drove through Warners Bay so I had my sister stop on the way back to check it out.

Source
Who can resist wraps with names like Mr. Aussie, Mr Mexican and Mr. Hawaiian?

 I got the Mr. Champion which had chicken, lettuce, tomato, bacon, eggs, grilled onions and grilled pineapple. Yum!

Getting There.
Car: Both Cupcake Expresso and Mr Schnitzel are located in the suburbs of Newcastle. From downtown Newcastle it is about a 20-30 minute drive. It is about 1.5 hours north of Sydney.  
Air: Newcastle airport is the closest airport and is about a 30-45 minute flight from Sydney. It is about a 30-60 minute drive from the airport.
Train: 
Cupcake Expresso: Adamstown railway station is the closest station and is a 10-15 minute walk.
Mr Schnitzel: Cardiff railway station is the closest and is about 5km/3.1 miles from the store. Connecting bus services are available.

What is your favourite food that you have had while traveling? What did you blog about today?







9 comments:

  1. That wrap looks delicious, but I would choose one of the hamburgers to try out!

    My favorite food while traveling would have to be a pizza we tried in Venice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Those are some spendy cupcakes. You'd definitely have to take your time eating them. Of course, I'm a cupcake aficionado so I'd totally have to try one, regardless of the price. I can't say that I've ever had schnitzel, but that looks quite yummy. Elle @ Erratic Project Junkie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! Those cupcakes and that wrap look delicious! Good thing I am eating lunch as I'm reading this or I'd be clawing my way through the computer screen :) Some day if you think it will be helpful (unless I missed it, LOL), you'll have to do a conversion thing between Australian dollars and US dollars. I know that a cupcake like you listed here would be about $3.50 US dollars (and worth every penny, LOL). That wrap, well all I can say is, it might be worthwhile getting on a plane and traveling down there!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both offerings sound delicious! I would love to go to Australia. I think the most memorable food would be the lobster dinner we enjoyed on our trip through Altlantic Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not as big on cupcakes anymore but Mr. Schnitzel looks amazing!

    Jessica
    2015 A to Z Blogger
    Visions of Other Worlds

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why is everyone talking about cupcakes today? On D day it was donuts.. Y'all make me so hungry!
    My favorite meal abroad was cochinillo in Spain - roasted suckling pig. It was absolutely incredible.
    ~AJ Lauer
    an A-Z Cohost
    @ayjaylauer on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, I want CUPCAKES! Those look divine. I bet my son is over there hoovering up the Mr. Schnitzels, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've eaten some of my favourite meals in France, but also some that have been memorable for the wrong reasons. I'd love to visit Mr Schnitzel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in Newcastle at the moment! Well Lake Macquarie and minutes away from Warners Bay... But I just check Mr Schnitzels FB page, and they're shut today (sunday). Sad. I'd give it a go- I've never heard of either of them. Not sure I'll fit Mr Schnitzel in this visit now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...