Saturday, April 4, 2015

D - Day at the (Amusement) Park



 Welcome to our tour of Australia. During the month of April we are going to visit our favourite spots in Australia. Come join us on our walkabout through the land down under.


Today we are doing double duty linking up with the A-Z Challenge and with Melinda for the Saturday Snapshots.

Yesterday we were hanging out in the heart of Sydney. Click here if you missed that post. Today we head up the east coast about 850km/525 miles to the Gold Coast to spend some times on Australia's wildest rides.

The Gold Coast is home to several of Australia's theme parks, very similar to the Orlando area in Florida. In fact two of the Orlando parks (Seaworld and Wet 'n' Wild) are also here but our tour stop will visit the other two, Warner Bros. Movie World and Dreamworld. Both parks are worth spending a day or two at as they have plenty to see and do even if you aren't a big roller coaster fan.

Warner Bros. Movie World:
Movie world has several attractions that will keep the whole family entertained. There are rides for the young ones, thrill rides and rollercoasters for the thrill seekers and plenty of shows for those who want something a little less thrilling. One day is often not enough so consider spending a few days here to see all that Movie World has to offer.
What I loved: It has a similar feel as Universal Studios but without the long lines and with unique shows and rides. It had plenty to keep the whole family entertained, even for the ones who didn't ride very much.
Cost: (All prices are in Australian Dollars)
Single day admission is $79. Multi park passes and season passes are $99.  
More Info:  
Movie World Web Site

 This is the best log flume ride ever. It has a few surprises that will keep you on your toes.

 The Police Academy Stunt Show. Sadly this has been replaced recently but it was always a must see.

Superman the escape is a fun blast coaster. We even got front row seats one time!

DreamWorld:
Dreamworld has some of Australia's fastest and tallest rides along with shows, rides for the little ones and much more. It is also home to the Big Brother house and you can race a virtual V8 Supercar. If the going gets too hot, you can cool down in the water park next door!
What I loved: The park has a distinct Australian feel to it and is unlike any other park open today. The big 8 Challenge was a fun way to ride all of the big thrill rides (Read that post here) and the tiger show and wildlife section was a nice extra as well. My only complaint is that one day is not nearly enough!
Cost: (All prices are in Australian Dollars)
Single day admission is $74.99. Multi day and Multi park passes start at $84.99. 
More Info:  
Dreamworld Web Site

Some of the more intense rides at the park.

 We also took some fun photos around the park.

 The Tiger show is well worth seeing. Get here early for a good spot!

 This part of the park is themed like a old gold mining town.

Getting There.
Car: Movie World and Dreamworld are just a few kilometres apart and are just of the M1 Motorway. It is about 1 hour south of Brisbane and 9-10 hours north of Sydney.  
Air: Brisbane airport and the Gold Coast airport are closest to the parks (Both airports are about  a 1.5 hour flight from Sydney). It is about a 30-60 minute drive from either airport to the parks.
Train: Coomera and Helensvale railway stations are the closest stations to the theme parks and are about an hour's ride from Brisbane.

What is your favourite theme or amusement park? What did you post about today?


20 comments:

  1. We're in the states and while of course everyone loves Disney, we love Cedar Point in Ohio. It's not close to us, but we travel that way to visit family I little more north, so we make a point to stop. They have a ton of roller coasters, all kinds and that's our favorite thing. Some sun, a bit of adrenaline and a lot of screaming and we've had a great day. Thanks for reminding me about it, we are past due to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun place to have in Australia. No need to go to Orlando!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been to a theme park in ages! I did love Disneyland....but my most recent adventure in theme parks was just a few years ago when I went to Magic Mountain near LA with my grandchildren. That was fun! Thanks for sharing...there is something about theme parks that bring out our hidden child.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As we have just returned from a month in Australia and NZ I am reading your posts avidly.
    I posted Penola Australia today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad I came across your blog theme in the A to Z Challenge as my daughter is about to start her tour around Australia having been working out there on her gap year to fund it. I'll be able to point her in the direction of where to go now!! I have signed up as a follower #100!! so I don't miss anything :) Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos! These look like fun amusement parks, and it looks like you had a great time. When my son was young, we lived in Florida and went to all the parks there. I'd say our favorite (at the time) was Busch Gardens. Not only were there rides, but there were also live animals, many roaming in a "natural" habitat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a lot of great fun. The photo I like best is the tiger caught in the middle of a jump.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know why, but I wouldn't have put amusement parks and Australia together, but it does make sense a continent that big would have something like these that you featured here. I have to say you are a daredevil, even in my "youth" I wouldn't have ridden that Superman Escape ride. The flume yes, that one, no! I bet the Tiger show was impressive to see in person!

    I like Disneyland in Anaheim, probably because we lived close to it (2 hours away) and visited it a lot. However, any amusement parks we did go to, I tended to stick to the milder rides :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  9. That tiger shot is perfect, how you caught him in the act of jumping. My Snapshot Saturday highlights tulips

    ReplyDelete
  10. it seems rather odd to go to Australia only to visit a Disney theme park. The Australian themed one sounds more interesting. And oh the tiger!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great shot of the tiger and the log ride. I don't do roller coasters, especially as big as some of those! Sounds like you had a great time! Glad you came by my blog and commented! Lisa, co-host AtoZ 2015, @ http://www.lisabuiecollard.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh! I tend to avoid amusement parks. I have this intense fear of heights and I've pretty much accepted that I won't be riding any roller coasters again any time soon (or at least if I can help it).

    The tiger show though might be something I can stomach. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks so fun. Nice to hear that the lines aren't as long as Universal Studios. Ugh, I went there as a teenager and almost went crazy with the lines for everything from shows to the bathroom. The flume looks super awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look like fun! I used to love amusement parks but now any ride that goes round and round or backwards or side to side makes me nauseous. I can only do the straight roller coasters. Makes me feel old :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a fun day! Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. look like fun places to visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So much fun! It's been years since I've been to an amusement park...I think it's high time to change that. I've been really wanting to go back to Disney World recently - my last visit was back in around 2004, so I'm definitely over due. I look forward to seeing what you have in store for next week! Elle @ Erratic Project Junkie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not a great one for theme parks - I go when I have to. I have been to Movie World for a conference dinner - that was fun- rides with no queues at all, and a few drinks. Excellent. I'll check out your other Aussie posts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We have only been to the Gold Coast once, and it was too soon after recovery from my daughters head injury so we couldn't go to any of the amusement parks. .

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved it! My favorite amusement park is Disneyland...but I don't have a lot to compare it to, because I lived near Disneyland for a couple of years. Loved your pics though!!! So much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...