Wednesday, April 1, 2015

A - A Day in the Countryside





Welcome to our tour of Australia. During the month of April we are going to visit our favourite spots in Australia. Come join us on our walkabout through the land down under. 


Our first stop on the tour is a little off the beaten path to visit an ancient glacial creek and a large rock formation that looks like it has been sawn off. 

Both attractions are located on the same road and are only 30k/20 miles apart so it is easy to see both of them in a couple of hours. Since they are away from the major tourist areas they are not crowded and you may even have the place to yourself. 

Sawn Rock.
Although there are no active volcanoes in Australia today there was a lot of volcanic activity millions of years ago. One of the things that volcanoes left behind was this natural wonder that looks like an natural pipe organ. The attraction is an easy 10-15 minute walk from the car park and it is even possible to go down into the creek to see some of the hexagonal basalt pillars that have fallen down over the years. Keep an eye out on the trail as you may even see some of the native wildlife.
What I loved: Sawn Rocks was unlike anything I had ever seen before. The rock formation towers over you and being able to go down into the creek and see the pieces that had fallen off was a bonus. The size of the broken off pieces gave you a true sense of how big this formation is. It was well worth the walk and we even saw an Echidna on the way to the rocks.
Cost: Free
More Info: Narrabri Tourism

 Towering over you this basalt formation has the appearance of pipe organ.

A close up of the hexagonal pillars.

Some of the pillars that had fallen off the cliff face.

We found this little guy by the path to Sawn Rocks. He was shy but I was able to get a few photos before he disappeared into the brush.


Rocky Creek glacial area.
About 290 million years ago this area was covered in snow and glaciers. There is still evidence of the glaciers in this area and is a fun way to see some prehistoric history, some beautiful scenery and even go for a swim in the creek. Getting to the creek is easy and is just steps away from the car park. On a warm day make sure to pack your swim wear and a picnic lunch.
What I loved: It was great being able to see the evidence of a glacier without having to leave Australia. It would be the perfect place to spend a summer's day by the water. There is plenty to explore and the water looks so inviting. Seeing the smaller rocks inset of the large granite boulders shows just how powerful these ancient glaciers were.
Cost: Free
More Info: Narrabri Tourism

 At first glance it looks like like any other creek.

but on closer inspection you can see the evidence of the glacier by the rocks that have been pushed into the boulders.

Its harder to see but there are more smaller rocks that have been ground into the bedrock by the glacier here.

There is plenty to explore and would be a great swimming hole in the summer time.

How to get there: 
Car: Both attractions are located on Killarney Road which is the main road between Narrabri and Bingara. Approximately 6-7 hours one way from Sydney.
Air: Moree airport is the closest airport. (1.5 hour flight from Sydney) From Moree it is about 1-2 hours by car to the attractions.
Train: Daily service from Sydney to Narrabri (7-8 hours from Sydney). From Narrabri it is about an hour by car to these attractions.

There is so much more to do in the area including Waa Gorge, Mt. Kaputar National Park and the CSIRO telescope so check out the Narrabri Tourism website to find out what else you need to add to your itinerary.

What did you post about today?

16 comments:

  1. Both of those spots are amazing. My son is traveling in Australia right now, currently working on a farm near Griffith NSW, so I have an extra interest in Australia. That animal is super strange looking. Is it sort of a porcupine? You guys have the coolest critters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to go to Austrailia and hope I get to one day. Thanks for sharing. This way I get a preview to my dream trip! Lisa, co-host AtoZ2015, @ lisabuiecollard.com Thanks for dropping by and commenting on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those hexagon rocks are cool. I've never seen anything like them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! I have been to Australia once, but only scratched the surface of course. I'll be interested to see if any of the places I visied make your A to Z.

    Anabel's Travel Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't get to see this area when I lived (briefly) in Australia, but I got to see so many beautiful places in Victoria and New South Wales. I love the pic of the dachshund! I used to have a doxie mix (she died last year and we miss her so much). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the guided tour!!!!! Pictures are wonderful. I've never been to Australia - do you take travel guide gratuities?

    I subscribed to your blog - it's nice to have discovered you on my blogs comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are some amazing photos! I'd never heard of Sawn Rock before but if I'm ever in that part of the world I will definitely try to check it out. I live in Hong Kong and I'm hoping to do a big trip to Oz one of these days, so this is going to be the perfect A to Z theme for me to follow! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sawn Rock looks like an amazing place. Loved your description and photos. Looking forward to seeing your Australia posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That Sawn Rock is so interesting! It does look like a pipe organ! I bet it is impressive in person to see it! I blogged Arizona today :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Starting off with a bang! The hexagonal rock formations are beyond cool. You realize I'm making any future Australia travel plans based on your A to Z posts, right? Pressure's on... See you tomorrow! Elle @ Erratic Project Junkie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great theme Sean & Amanda! Look forward to reading about some hot spots in Australia. From your Kiwi neighbour.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. Now I really want to go to Swan Rock. It's incredible. It looks a bit like Giant's Causeway in Ireland, another place we drove a day out of the way to see, and worth it. Looking forward to learning about our neighbor to the west :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought those rocks were only at Giant's Causeway! The Irish lied to me! :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sawn Rocks are very cool! I've never heard of them before. Always fun to see an echidna too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow!! amazing rock formations

    ReplyDelete
  16. April we are going to visit our favourite spots in Australia. Come join us on our walkabout through the land down under. Moldavia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...