Tuesday, March 11, 2014

His A-Z Survey...Book Edition

Amanda was reading a few blogs last week and found this reading survey. Jessica, who blogs over at The Artsy Cajun, got the idea from Charlene who blogs at Bisons to Buckeyes. I am going to complete the survey today; Amanda will complete hers on Thursday.

A: Author you've read the most books by:  If we are counting books I have finished it would be Robin Cook. I believe I have finished every book of his that I have picked up. I read a lot of Stephen King as well but I don't always finish his books as some of them are ones I thought would be interesting but weren't.
Source
B: Best Sequel Ever: Harry Potter 3 onwards. I thought that the second book was not as good as the first one but it all got better from there.
Source
C: Currently Reading:  Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser.
Source
D: Drink of Choice While Reading:  If I have a drink when I am reading it is usually just water.

E: E-Reader or Physical Book?  I am a huge E-Reader fan. I can change books at the click of a button (great for my ADD) and I don't have to hold the book open when I am laying down. E-readers are so much more convenient (unless the battery is dead)

F: Fictional Character You Probably Would Have Dated in High School:  Since I read a lot of thrillers and horror books, all the girls were the victim or a homicidal maniac. I think I would be best to stay out of the fictional dating pool.

G: Glad You Gave This Book a Chance: Void Moon. I found this for $1 on the clearance table at Barnes and Noble. It turned out to be a great book and one I have re read a couple of times.
H: Hidden Gem Book: The Wizard of Oz series. The Judy Garland movie was based on the first book but there are 12 more books that were written after this one. Reading the whole series is a must for any Wizard of Oz fans as there are some many more adventures and characters to meet. 
Source
I: Important Moment in Your Reading Life: Back in primary school when my mates and I all started reading the final fantasy series. It was a choose your own adventure book where you tried to finish a mission and had to fight monsters too (you used dice similar to how you did in dungeons and dragons) These books got us all interested in reading.

J: Just Finished: Confessions of a Male Nurse. It was a collection of funny stories from a guy who worked as a nurse in public hospitals in both New Zealand and Great Britain. 
Source
K: Kinds of Books You Won't Read: Romance novels. I am willing to try most types of literature but romance novels just don't interest me at all. Anime would be on that list as well.

L: Longest Book You've Ever Read: Steven King's "The Stand". At 1200 or so pages it took around 7 years for me to read it on and off.

M: Major Book Hangover Because Of: The Harry Potter series. I would love to see more adventures of the wizarding world, whether it was Harry and friends in adulthood or even their kids going through Hogwarts.

N: Number of Book Cases You Own:  We have two big bookcases. Amanda has a few more books than I do but its not overwhelmingly hers.

O: One book you have read multiple times: Adventures of the Thunderbolt Kid. It's a memoir of Bill Bryson who does a magnificent job of describing the joys of childhood in the 1950's. It's a fun read and a book I highly recommend.
Source
P: Preferred place to read:  It has to be somewhere quiet and shaded. I get distracted too easily from any type of noise or movement so I end up reading mostly in bed or in a quiet corner on a cruise ship.

Q: Quote That Inspires You/Gives You Feels From a Book You've Read: This quote is from the Ayrton Senna biography (Senna was probably the greatest Formula 1 driver in history) and I loved many of his including this one as it applies to life in general and not just racing.

“On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.” 
R: Reading Regret: Jurassic Park. Loved the movie but couldn't get into the book no matter how hard I tried. 

S: Series You Started But Still Need to Finish (All Books Are Out): The Hunger Games series. I finished the first two but haven't got around to finishing the third one yet.

T: Three of your Favorite Books: Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, Fast Food Nation and the Harry Potter books.

U: Unapologetic Fan-boy For:  Bill Bryson. He is an awesome travel writer and I have loved just about every thing he has written.
Source
V: Very Excited for This Release More Than Others: Even though it came out recently it would be "Confessions of a New York Cab Driver". I loved the other books in this series and I can imagine a cabbie in NYC has some great stories to tell.
Source

W: Worst Bookish Habits: Not finishing books that I started even though they are pretty good. I get distracted or just feel like reading a different genre sometimes and then forget to go back to the other book that I started.

X: X Marks the Spot, Start at the Top of Your Shelf and Pick the 27th Book:  The Trivia Lover's Guide to the World. It was a freebie on Barnes and Noble's Nook page one day and it ended up being a really good book.
Source
Y: Your Latest Book Purchase: Confessions of a Male Nurse.

Z: Zzzz-Snatcher Book-(The last book that kept you up way too late): I don't really have this problem as reading is soothing and helps me go to sleep (sometimes way too quickly).

What are your favorite books? Any that you think I should read?


 

3 comments:

  1. I've read Toxin by Robin Cook but I've never come across others, what other books of his do you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I think I will do it too!

    ~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
    acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever idea! I am so looking forward to sharing the A to Z challenge with you this year! If you have a chance, please join us this evening at 8 pm, EDT on Twitter, #AZChat, hosted by @DamyantiG! Mary aka www.homelesschroniclesintampa.blogspot.com A to Z Challenge Theme Reveal BlogFest – Sign Up Now #atozchallenge #atozreveal

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...