Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day - Ironmonger Style

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!
Source
It feels funny to even say that because Sean and I rarely do anything on Valentine's Day. Some years we have gotten take-out dinner from a restaurant to bring home (less crowds). A few years he got me some chocolate dipped strawberries from Edible Arrangements because he knows they are my fave. That is usually it though. He tells me not to buy him anything and he is serious - he doesn't want me to do anything. I appreciate the strawberries, but have encouraged him not to buy me anything because I know how expensive V-Day related items can be. We aren't into Valentine's Day that much.

Here's what I find interesting though - several people have asked about our celebrations and have been told all that I just told you. This is what I usually hear...


"Valentine's Day is a day of love. You are supposed to do something for each other so the other person knows you love them."

Maybe, but, personally, I would rather express love through little hugs or notes on a random Monday or a special treat given "just because" on a Wednesday.

How about cutting someone's meatloaf into the shape of a heart? (Sean has done this for me.)
---or---
How about buying a favorite childhood movie on DVD because you saw it at Target? (I've done this for him.)

Why settle for one "love" day  a year when you can have 365?? 

Yes, today is Valentine's Day and I will tell Sean I love him and leave him a note on the chalkboard in our hallway. But I will also do that tomorrow and the next day and the next day and the next day. I say we start making every day Valentine's Day and letting our love for our significant others shine through 365/24/7. Who's with me!?!?

However you spent your day today, I hope it was filled with love...and I hope that is true for each and every day for the rest of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...