Thursday, June 18, 2015

Her TBT: Apple Picking

Angela at The Teacher's Desk 6 is hosting a Throwback Thursday linky party. The rules are simple - choose a previous blog post and re-post it. 

http://teachersdesk6.blogspot.com/2014/07/throwback-thursday-memories.html

Usually I choose a post of Sean's to share as our TBT post, but today I am sharing one of mine. Fall is my favorite season - it's absolutely no contest with the others. I love the crisp weather, the changing leaves, and the holidays (Halloween and Thanksgiving). Summer is great because of my time away from school, but it is my least favorite season because of the heat. What better way to beat the heat then to reminisce about a fall activity and dream of cooler weather. Enjoy!
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two years ago, Sean and I were visiting friends in the mountains of Virginia and I decided I wanted to go apple picking. I had never done this before and thought it sounded like fun. We searched and talked to our friends and we chose Carter Mountain Orchard in Charlottesville, which is almost next door to Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's house). We went and had a blast so I decided that this fall we had to go back and pick more apples! 


When we arrived, it was bumper to bumper traffic climbing the hill/driveway. I could not get over how many people were there. 








Kristin, my good friend, and I love Fuji apples and that was one of the options to pick this past weekend. We were both excited but to get to the Fuji apples you had to climb up a mountain with three switchbacks. We grabbed our bags and off we climbed.







Picking apples is not a super fun and exciting event. But it is fun to walk down the row of trees, try to spot the perfect apple, then pick that "just right" one to take home. I love it! Our friends loved it too I think.






Sean and I ended up with 12 beautiful (and tasty!) Fuji apples. We also stopped by the store on the way out and got some apple butter for me and my parents. I love apple butter and there is just something wonderful and apple butter that is made with three ingredients - apple, water, and spices. Yum yum!!






I am almost sad now that we are not going back to the mountains before apple picking season is over. I would so go again later this month when Pink Ladies are available at the orchard. Oh well, I guess I can wait until next year!



This is one of my favorite photos of us ever! :)



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


This summer weather is way too hot for me, but when that fall breeze picks up again, I will be back at the apple orchard picking apples. Something to dream about during these hot summer months.

Happy Thursday,


1 comment:

  1. Looked like fun! Never picked apples but where we used to live in Southern California, there was a little town, Julian, known for its apples. Always had a great apple festival in October.

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...