Saturday, April 19, 2014

His: Super Saturday Snapshots - Quilt in Progress!


Our A-Z Blogging Challenge continues. We hope you are enjoying these posts. In the beginning we worried that we wouldn't have anything to write about on "Q" day, but thankfully I got some sewing done and we have something to share.

http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/

Today we are linking up with Melinda at West Metro Mommy for Super Saturday Snapshots.



I recently started sewing late last year and blogged briefly about some of the projects that I have completed in a previous post(Click here to read that post.) I have had a lot of fun making dresses, drawstring bags and other projects but I am also working on my very first quilt. I got my interest in sewing because I wanted to start quilting and even though I started off with a fairly simple design the quilt took a lot longer than I expected. The quilt will a gift to my niece Bennett and is big enough that she will be able use it for a few years at least as it will fit on a toddler bed. Below are some photos from what I have done so far.


The first two squares being sewn together. Just 58 more squares to go!

Sewing another row to the front of the quilt.

I kept the quilting pattern simple as this was my first attempt. It is wavy lines with little leaves every so often.

I was hoping to have it completed by now but every step is taking far longer than I ever imagined. I have about half of the quilt done so far, so all I have left is to quilt the other half and sew on the border. I am also working on some other projects but I hope to have it done soon so I can share the pictures of the finished quilt soon. Have you ever made a quilt or wanted to?


 





9 comments:

  1. This is something I hope to learn to do... quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an adorable quilt! I love your fabric choices, color, and pattern -- perfect for your first quilt. Your niece will treasure it. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed project. By the way, I'm a quilter too. Seems like quilts always take longer than I anticipate, but they're worth the time that I've invested.
    My Saturday Snapshot is HERE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurray for another quilter joining the ranks!
    Have fun! Pretty soon, you'll be having a hard time choosing what pattern you want to try next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what cute monkeys! Love it!

    I've been away from Saturday Snapshot for a while. I'd love for you to stop by my post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire quilts and quilters, but don't think that I will ever do anything like that. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! I actually have that fabric in the pink. You have good taste. ;) You're doing a great job so far. I'm sure your niece will love it. Elle @ Erratic Project Junkie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hand-quilted at first. I cut out each square individually and then hand-sewed the pieces together. That's how my grandma did it and that's how she taught me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So if I'm reading this correctly, it is Sean that is the sewer/quilter, right? That's neat! That quilt will be nice when it is completed and I'm sure your niece will enjoy it for many a year and when she might outgrow it, she'll always keep it!

    No, I'm not a quilter but my mom was. She made some really nice quilts.

    Enjoy the day!

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...