Monday, July 28, 2014

His and Her Travel Review: The Giant Fiddle in Sydney, Nova Scotia

A few years ago we went on a cruise to New England and Canada. The first stop was Sydney, Nova Scotia and it is home to the world's largest fiddle. Seeing giant versions of different items is nothing new as Australia is home to dozens of them including the Giant Prawn, the Big Pineapple, the Big Banana and the Big Merino. I had read that Sydney had a giant fiddle and it was at the cruise ship terminal so it would be easy to see. It was probably more interesting to me than most people as my home town, Tamworth, was home to the Big Golden Guitar and this would be like its Canadian cousin.

   Since we had a shore excursion that left right as we got off the ship (you can read about that here) we were not able to get any good photos before we left. Luckily we had enough time to get a few photos when we got back to the port. It was pretty cool to see the giant fiddle since we were in the area, but it was just a big fiddle and once you took a few photos in front of it there really wasn't much else to do. 

When Sean told me about the Giant Fiddle, I was intrigued. My area of the U.S. is not home to many of these kinds of attractions. (I wish it was!) I was excited to see this and have a photo taken in front of it. 

I played violin for 8 years in school - from fifth to twelfth grade. It was a big part of my life during my middle school and high school years. Lots of fond memories! Seeing a giant version of what I played for so many years was exciting. Sean's right, though; once we took a few photos we were pretty much done. It's a pretty cool memory though. The violinist got to pose (in true violin form) in front of the giant fiddle.


**You can't tell in this photo, but I am wearing my Sydney, Australia shirt --- in Sydney, Nova Scotia. Several locals commented and thought it was fun. I loved visiting another Sydney, though the Aussie one is still my favorite.**



Below are a few more photos of us and the Big Fiddle.

The Big Fiddle next to the cruise ship terminal from the pool deck of the cruise ship.

It may not look big in the photo but it is well over 3 stories tall.


What "big" attractions have you been to?


Happy Traveling,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...