Sunday, October 21, 2012

Howl-O-Scream, 2012

Halloween is a favorite holiday of mine. I am a fan of most holidays but for some reason when I see Halloween approaching on the calendar it makes me smile. I love the costumes and the idea of being able to transform yourself into someone else for a few hours. I love trick-or-treaters who come to the house in their cute costumes. I also love decorating the house with all the spooky and fun things that represent Halloween. 

Another tradition Sean and I have had for the past few years is going to Howl-O-Scream at Busch Gardens, Williamsburg. We are season ticket holders and we go to the park several times throughout the spring and summer but there is something about going in October, fighting the insane crowds (they always reach capacity on Saturdays during this time), and seeing the different areas of the park decorated for the country's Halloween traditions. 

Saturday we focused on some of the smaller rides that we love (Da Vinci's cradle, the Teacups, Scrambler, Cars, etc.) rather than waiting in line for 30+ minutes for the coasters. We also went to many of the Halloween-themed shows. Here are some reviews:
"Dr. Freakenstein" - Ireland - 
Amanda - I thought this show was a little disconnected. I didn't understand why some of the songs were chosen to be a part of the show. I also did not like the dancing that was done during the show. I would give it three stars out of five.
Sean - The basic plot of the show was loosely based on Frankenstein. However it is a bit different as it had almost a dozen scantily dressed nurses dancing around the stage. The show had a decent flow and kept my attention but was not spectacular. The other thing of note was that it had several adult references and would not be appropriate for children. I would give it 3.5 stars because it didn't loose my attention.
"Casket Club" - Festhaus, Germany - 
Amanda - I liked this show. It was done as a caberet type show with singing and dancing. The dancing was more like ballroom dancing which I love anyway. I liked the songs and found myself clapping along several times. The main male character was funny which was also great. I would give it four and a half stars out of five.
Sean - Not a fan, I had a lot of trouble following the story line and at times I wasn't sure it had one. The first half was a lot of dancing and I lost interest very quickly. The second half had some disco music and bright costumes which held my attention better. I was glad I had some lunch to focus on during the boring parts. I would give it 2 of of 5 stars.

Here are some of the photos that I took yesterday while we enjoyed our time at the park:


Creepy clowns lined the bridge on the way to Italy

Near the Clydesdale stables

Next to Ireland's bridge - the show in Ireland was "Dr. Freakenstein"

Ireland's bridge






Welcoming you into Aquataine, France

Sean harnessing his inner werewolf

Building tops in New France

Decorations in Festhaus where we ate lunch
What is your favorite thing about Halloween? Whatever you do to celebrate, have a spook-tacular time! :)

Happy Halloween,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...