Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Her Love of Sydney

Sydney, Australia is my favorite city in the world! The beautiful harbor, bridge, Opera House, architecture...it's everything about the city that made me fall in love. I asked Sean if we could spend a day in Sydney, just hanging out and seeing all the sights. We worked it into the schedule this past Monday.


We started first thing in the morning taking the train into the city to avoid the traffic. I had not been on a train into the city (only out) and I really liked the sights as they came into view.
Changing trains at Central station
Since it was almost lunch time, we headed out to my favorite beach in Sydney in an area called Manly. The harbor ferry ride took about 30 minutes. We got to see some of the same sights as we did on the cruise Saturday. What we didn't get to see Saturday that we did get to see Monday is the opening of the harbor where the ocean flows in. I don't know what it is about this spot that I love but I am in awe and enamored with it. I had a great big smile on my face as we crossed this spot.
The entrance to the Harbour
The lunch in Manly was delicious and a first for me. We had kebabs. I am not going to be any good at explaining what it is, so Sean is going to try.

Kebabs are a popular fast food dish in many locations in Australia. They consist of sliced lamb, beef, or chicken, slowly roasted on a vertical rotating spit then served on pita bread and filled with your choice of lettuce, tomato, sauce and cheese. Although they are popular in Australia they are not easily found in the United States so we will have to enjoy a few more before heading back to America.

We sat at picnic tables right on the beach so that was incredible!

Area to eat by Manly beach
After lunch, we walked down to the water so I could touch the Pacific Ocean. The sun was shining and it was a little warm, but the water was cold - fitting since it is technically winter here (though I think Mother Nature has forgotten that fact, 70 degrees is not winter weather, though none of us are complaining). I didn't want to leave that spot but the ferry was waiting so we had to go.
Amanda touching the Pacific Ocean
The ferry we rode from Manly
We tried to visit an open market with lots of stalls for souvenirs but it was closed so we rode the light rail around the city and returned to the harbor. We walked down to the amusement park which is at the base of the harbor bridge and spotted a cruise ship leaving Sydney. It was an impressive and awesome sight to see so we sat on the harbor front for a few minutes watching it sail away. 
Cruise ship heading out to sea
There was one more spot in Sydney that I wanted to see so we headed to the area known as The Rocks. This was the first part of the city that was built and the architecture is incredible. We came across a monument in this area to the first people who inhabited the country of Australia. Carved out of sandstone, the monument was so impressive that we stopped to admire and reflect upon what we saw and read.

Monument to the first settlers from England
After a quick stop at a cafe for a drink and snack, we headed out of the city.

Sydney Harbour at night
 Do you have a city that you love as much as I love Sydney?

Happy Travels,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...