Saturday, May 31, 2014

Saturday Snapshots: Towns of Nicaragua

Today we are linking up with Melinda at West Metro Mommy for Super Saturday Snapshots.



Amanda and I went on a mission trip to Nicaragua a few times when we first got married. It was a eye opening experience and something that I recommend that everyone who can do at least once. We have so many memories and experiences from our 3 trips there and we couldn't possibly hope to share it all in 100 posts let alone one.

     On our travel days we would go through many little towns and I was fascinated by them. I took a ton of photos of the towns and some of my fellow group members even joked that I had a picture of every street in Nicaragua (its probably not far from the truth). Below are just some of my favourite street photos from our first trip in 2003.

This street market is set up right by the main highway. It sold a variety of fruit and vegetables among other items.

This is a typical street in one of the larger cities. It was a mixture of businesses and residential houses.

Many of the streets had road works like the one near this auto mechanic.

Many resturants look similar to this one. We ate ate at this one for lunch one day and the food was pretty tasty. I had a chicken schnitzel, beans, rice and some vegetables.


A brightly painted exterior to an appliance store. Sadly we were just driving by or I would have ducked in to see how prices compare to back home.

Some of the smaller settlements would have just a few shops like in this photo.

I always looked forward to the bus rides in Nicaragua as there was always something new to see around the next corner. Every little village and town was just a little bit different and gave me yet another excuse to fill up my memory cards. Have you taken tons of photos of streets when traveling or is it just something that I do?



10 comments:

  1. Nicaragua reminds me a little of Vanuatu...and yes we take lots of street photos too. We spend so much time on the road or walking the streets of an area we visit, that it seems a shame to not have something that recalls all those (lesser) everyday travelling moments.
    I like to see the pretty, historic or amazing sights, but I also like to see how the locals live and go about their days.
    Your pics have captured this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In that one shot, I love the backdrop of the mountains...and I do love the colorful exteriors. Seeing these shots reminded me of movies like Romancing the Stone, which was "set" in Colombia, but had a similar feel to it.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What interesting photos. I particularly like the fourth one, the restaurant. That must have been a rewarding experience for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happily most of my recent holidays have been to Paris- where I take lots of street photos. I've never been anywhere remotely like Nicaragua, I'd take lots of photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always taking photos of the streets and towns when I travel. I've never been to Nicaragua but I've been to several Caribbean islands with small towns that have lots of character.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What interesting photos. I like the one of the street market. Very colourful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shots and window on a totally different world. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm very glad to hear you went with a group. Third world countries may seem lovely and sweet, but you have to be careful. Laws and freedoms aren't the same as in the US. The pics are great glimpses into the place and culture. One thing about third world countries - they have amazing fresh vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun idea to blog with your spouse! I haven't taken many photos of streets where I travel, but it's a great way to capture the hustle and bustle (or lack thereof) of the city. Thanks again for stopping by my little 'ol blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks an interesting place. I occasionally take photos of streets if they stand out as being particularly quaint or pretty. Your photos were worth taking because they show streets that are a little unusual.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...